Sunday, July 21, 2013

Spiritual growth

The past year has been the most spiritual time in my life so far.  (For the record, I don't currently subscribe to any religion.)  I feel as though I've learned a lot.  For one thing, if you're in a state of concentration and talk to God, he may make his presence known.

I'd never had that before, but at an especially rocky time, I decided to address letters to God in my journal.  All I can say is that I got a particular sense of calm in the succeeding days that I had not experienced before.  It was a sense of calm that I perceived to be generated from outside myself.  I've always cherished time spent journaling and this is certainly another dimension for which to be grateful.

I've also always wanted to simplify--really for peace of mind.  I still have a ways to go on that, but I've gotten rid of a ton of books and plan to keep it up.  The less clutter around, the better I feel.  This is particularly apparent if you've moved as often as I have (whoa, I have this much stuff?).  I don't want to have a lot of things.  In fact, I want to have very few material possessions, which would help me on my spiritual journey.

I feel some sense of urgency to fulfill my purpose.  I don't know what that is but I am interested to find out.  I am confident about being in the right profession but what else should I do?  That is the mystery. Maybe it has to do with relationships with people I encounter?

My reading choices have reflected my deeper interest in spirituality.  I've read a ton of near-death experience accounts as well as books by Eckhart Tolle and Deepak Chopra.

No comments:

Post a Comment